Quinoa & Butternut Squash filled Mushrooms
Quinoa & Butternut Squash Stuffed Mushrooms
After a weekend of dinner parties and brunches galore, come Monday, all you may want is something light, healthy, but most importantly something that will help lighten up the guilt of betraying your diet with one too many mimosas. This recipe is the perfect remedy for those days, not only is it packed with all the right nutrients, but it’s filling, satisfying and tastefully delicious so much so, that you will forget it’s healthy and good for you! The secret is our all natural Chile Negro & Hibiscus Sauce that elevates the veggies to new heights. Buen Provecho!
- ¾ cup Quinoa
- 1 ½ cup Water
- 3 tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Shallot, tiny dice (brunoise size)
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, small dice
- ¼ cup Dried Cranberries
- ½ cup Vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoons SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro and Hibiscus Sauce, plus more for garnish
- 3 cups Spinach, washed and stems removed
- 4 Portobello Mushrooms, stems removed and chopped into small pieces
- Preheat oven to 325°F. In a small pot bring the quinoa and water with a pinch of salt to a boil. Then cover and lower heat and cook until all water is absorbed, approximately 10 minutes. Keep covered for an additional 5 minutes. Use a fork to fluff quinoa and then transfer to a medium bowl. Set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add shallots, butternut squash, cranberries and chopped mushroom stems. Season with salt and cook for a minute. Add vegetable stock and SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro and Hibiscus Sauce and continue to cook, stirring occasionally. Before the stock is completely absorbed, add spinach and mix with rest of vegetables, cook until squash is cooked through, approximately 6 minutes. Transfer vegetable mix to the bowl with the quinoa and mix well. Set aside.
- Rub remaining olive oil to both sides of each mushroom and place on a cookie sheet. Roast mushrooms until they have softened, approximately 5-10 minutes (depending on the size of the mushrooms). Remove from oven and allow to cool for a couple of minutes before stuffing.
- Spoon the quinoa and vegetable mixture into the mushrooms, mounding it slightly. Drizzle additional SALSAOLOGY Chile Negro & Hibiscus Sauce if desired, serve warm and enjoy!
mix it up
For the carnivores: Add cooked sausage to the quinoa stuffing…we love turkey sausage in this recipe.
Number of servings (yield): 4