Mexican Shrimp Soup (Caldo de Camarones)
Caldo de Camarones
Fresh seafood and shrimp is accessible throughout Mexico and a common ingredient in regional cuisines, especially in states that are along Mexico’s many ocean waters. This recipe is specific to the state of Nayarit whose breathtaking coast borders the Pacific Ocean.
Although a common dish throughout the country, Caldo de Camarones has a history dating back to ancient Nayarit. It is well known that in pre-Colombian times the indigenous prepared Tlaxtihuilli, a complex, spicy, chile based thick soup with shrimp. Our recipe takes the best of both worlds; using ancient methods and modern ingredients to make a dish of what is more commonly prepared today. If you feel adventurous, and want to try something close to the ancient recipe, just add more SALSAOLOGY to this recipe until you get the thick consistency and spiciness of your preference.
- 2 tbsp. Olive Oil
- 1 c. Onion, medium dice
- 5 ea. Garlic Cloves
- 14.5 oz. Canned Tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup of SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- 6 c. Vegetable Stock
- 2 c. Potatoes, medium dice
- 1 c. Carrots, medium dice
- 6 Cilantro Sprigs
- 1.5 lbs. Medium Uncooked Shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 Red Onion, thinly sliced, place in a small bowl with 1 c. freshly squeezed lemon or lime juice and allow to marinate and soften. Top stew with onions as garnish.
- Avocado Slices, for garnish
- Jalapeño Slices, for garnish
- Lime Slices, for garnish
- Heat oil in a medium to large size pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent.
- Add 2 tbsp. of SALSAOLOGY to pot and mix. Then add can of tomatoes and continue to cook mixture for a few minutes, allowing flavors to incorporate.
- Reduce heat to low and pour vegetable stock into pot and stir well. Add salt to taste, if necessary.
- Allow stew to come to a low simmer and then add potatoes, carrots and cilantro sprigs. Cover pot and cook for approximately 15 minutes, or until potatoes are cooked through.
- Carefully place shrimp into pot and cook for an additional 4 minutes.
- Serve stew warm in bowls and garnish with optional ingredients: citrus pickled onions, avocado slices, jalapeno slices, and/or lime. Enjoy with warm corn tortillas.