Fusilli with Sausage and Butternut Squash
fusilli with sausage & butternut squash
Perfect warm bowl to celebrate Autumn’s bounty. Use whole wheat pasta to add a heartier layer to this already incredibly delicious meal.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound Sausage, casing removed
- 3 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 1 Onion, small chopped
- 2 cups Butternut Squash, small dice
- 4 sprigs Thyme, leaves removed from stems
- 1 bunch Red Chard, stems removed and chopped
- 1 ¼ cup Chicken Stock
- 12 ounce jar SALSAOLOGY Pumpkin Mole Sauce or SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- 1 pound Fusilli Pasta
- ½ cup Pecorino or Parmesan Cheese, freshly shaved
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium high heat. Add sausage to skillet and break up meat into small pieces with a wooden spoon. Add salt to taste, stirring often and continue to cook until cooked through and browned, approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove the sausage from the skillet and pour off excess fat from the skillet except for 1 tablespoon. Return skillet to medium heat. (If using chicken or turkey sausage, add 1 tablespoon of oil). Add onion and cook until translucent, approximately 3 minutes. Add garlic, butternut squash, salt and thyme leaves. Pour chicken stock in to pan and bring to simmer. Cook until squash is fork tender, about 10 minutes. Add red chard and cook for 1 minute and return cooked sausage to skillet. Add SALSAOLOGY Pumpkin Mole Sauce, lower heat and cook until sauce comes to a simmer.
- Cook the fusilli in large pot of salted water until al dente. Drain the pasta and add to skillet, mix well to coat. Serve warm and top with shaved cheese.
mix it up
You can substitute the butternut squash with whole pumpkin, acorn squash, or kobucha squash.
Number of servings (yield): 6