What is Bibimbap? A signature Korean rice dish that epitomizes hearty and healthy comfort. Literally meaning “mixed rice,” Bibimbap is a warm rice bowl topped with sautéed vegetables, and gochujang, a fermented chili paste. Optionally, sliced meat and a fried or raw egg can be added. However, what is most prized in a sizzling stone bowl of dolsot bibimbap (dolsot = stone bowl), is the crispy rice layer that forms on the bottom. We’ve replicated this bowl of deliciousness by crisping the rice up in a cast iron skillet at home and used our Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce instead of the traditional gochujang chili paste to give you a bowl of dynamite comforting flavors!
- 1 ½ Cups White Sushi Rice
- 10 teaspoons Olive Oil
- 4 oz. Beech Mushrooms or Shitake Mushrooms
- 2 Zucchinis, julienned
- 2 Carrots, peeled and julienned
- 8 oz. Firm Tofu, cut into thick slices
- 1- 4 Eggs, fried sunny side up (optional)
- 1 pack of Daikon Sprouts
- 2 Scallions, thinly sliced at an angle
- 1 tablespoon Sesame Seed, toasted
- 4-6 tablespoons SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce
- Cook rice by bringing 2 cups of water with 1 ½ cups of rice and a pinch of salt to a low boil. Cover and bring to lowest heat level. Remove from heat after 20 minutes and leave covered. After 10 minutes uncover and fluff with fork.
- In a nonstick skillet add 2 teaspoons of olive oil over medium heat. Add mushrooms and season with salt and cook until hot, approximately 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and set aside. Repeat procedure for zucchini and carrots. For tofu, add 1 teaspoon of oil to skillet and sear tofu slices, turning once until brown. Transfer to a cutting board and cut into smaller bite size pieces and set aside.
- Heat a cast iron skillet over medium heat. Once it’s very hot, add remaining tablespoon of olive oil and swirl around to coat entire skillet. Add the rice and gently with a spatula, pack it down evenly. The bottom should be sizzling, cook without stirring until the rice is crispy on the bottom.
- Divide and serve rice among 4 bowls or 1 large serving bowl. Place fried egg in center of bowl. Arrange mushrooms, zucchini, carrots, tofu, daikon sprouts, and scallions around egg. Dollop SALSAOLOGY Ancho Chile & Tamarind Sauce to taste and sprinkle toasted Sesame Seeds. Make sure to break the egg yolk and mix all components together with a spoon and enjoy!
mix it up
To accommodate the seasons and personal tastes, any mix and variety of vegetables can be used to top the rice.
Sliced beef can be added for a heartier dish.
Omit egg for a vegan friendly meal.
Number of servings (yield): 4